Do you love teaching maths?Want to invest in your own Master Maths franchise?
Master Maths pioneered individualised, audio-visual, interactive Maths lessons in South Africa. True to its innovative spirit, it became one of the first businesses in South Africa to franchise its business concept. That was in 1978.
The business was acquired by Johan and Petro Welgens in 1995. At this time, it had 30 franchisees operating from 30 centres. The owners soon realized that the “tapes and slides” technology had become outdated; it was time to upgrade the teaching material to more current technology. Under their leadership, the business developed a unique computer-based mathematics teaching system. This system was launched in the Master Maths franchises in 2000.
The number of franchise areas grew from 33 in 2000, to 78 in 2004. There are now 112 Master Maths franchise areas, with more than 140 centres in those areas.
In 2000 we had about 4 000 students. Today, we are equipping more than 11 000 learners to master their maths.
- If you’d like to move away from the classroom but still be involved with changing learners’ lives for the better, owning a Master Maths franchise is an opportunity to combine your passion for teaching with creating a successful and profitable business.
- You’re not in it alone. We follow a thorough application process and provide extensive training once a franchisee has been approved. The result is that we very rarely have centres that are not successful.
- Master Maths is an accredited member of the Franchise Association of South Africa (FASA), your assurance of a franchise business built and run on sound ethical principles.
- You can ask any Master Maths franchisee about what type of franchisor Master Maths is.
- Maths teachers who want to start their own business.
- Previous Master Maths centre managers or tutors who have gained significant experience working in a centre.
- You’ll need at least the following minimum qualifications:
- BSc (Maths related field), BEng, or similar tertiary qualification that had a large Mathematics component.
- Tertiary teaching qualification, specialising in Maths.
- Tertiary teaching qualification, with very good Maths and/or Physical Science marks at school.
- The ability to effectively tutor up to Grade 12 Maths level from day 1.
- Even those interested in buying an existing franchise would probably need to be able to tutor up to Grade 12. For example, if you own a centre and have only one staff member who is responsible for tutoring, consider what would happen if that person decided to move on. You would need to take over 100% of the tutoring immediately. Only if you purchase a very large centre with multiple staff members would we consider someone who is not able to tutor up to Grade 12 level.
- If you start a centre from scratch, you would typically be responsible for everything - tutoring as well as admin, with no additional staff members to help you. A new business will not generate the income to sustain multiple staff salaries until it has been operational for a while.
- Master Maths is a service industry. To be successful, it therefore requires the utmost dedication to clients. As a franchisee, you need to be a people person and very service orientated.
- Most of our franchisees are women. We are very proud of the fact that we can assist these women through franchising to become business leaders in their communities.
- Find an area that is still available or one that you would want to purchase.
- Applying for an area that is still available
- Find an area that is available by checking the available areas list. You can suggest an area that is not on the list, but first use the “Find a Centre” function to make sure there is not already a franchisee in the area you’re suggesting. If the name of the centre is the name of the suburb or town, it usually indicates that the area is no longer available.
- For information about what to include in your application, please click here: Download the franchise application documentation Link to franchise info download
- Applying for an area that is still available
- Purchasing an existing franchises business
- Check the list of franchise areas for sale. Use the “Find a Centre” function to find the centre and contact the franchisee directly. If you are interested in purchasing a centre that is not on the list, you can also contact a franchisee to find out if they are interested in selling their business.
- The current franchisee must inform the franchisor that they are interested in selling their business.
- Request the financial and other information from the existing centre and evaluate the business.
We can then answer your questions and confirm that the area you are interested in is available (if you are not purchasing an existing business). You can contact us by filling in this form.
Contact a few franchisees and visit a centre or two to understand what it entails to operate a Master Maths centre.
Please upload the following:
- Your full CV and the full CV of all prospective franchisees partnering with you.
- Your business plan, including all prerequisites stipulated in the documentation you downloaded. To speed up the process, please ensure you’re including all the information.
- If you are purchasing an existing franchise, please include the purchase contract. The existing franchisee can request a purchase contract example from us by email.